Sunday, September 27, 2009

Broken Record, But Another Great Weekend

Nicole and I had planned to head to Detroit Lakes this weekend to get my braces tightened and watch Hattie while Em and Ryan went to a friends wedding. Nicole had the option to be on call for the weekend so we decided to do that instead. Thanks Em and Ryan for understanding and we will see you this coming weekend.
We took it easy on Friday night and just stayed home and caught up on Rescue Me (a TV series we enjoy). Nicole was excited about her 1st weekend on call. She is on call at Fairview Riverside (where Ashley had Zander). It is pretty neat how it works. She gets up on Saturday morning and at 8:00 a.m. she calls the hospital to see if there are any cases. If there is, she goes in, if there are not, she has the day off. So it's not like she can be called in for an emergency at any hour of the weekend, it is just a check-in right away in the morning and then go about your weekend. It prevents us from leaving town on that weekend, but that is no big deal. So yesterday she called in and there was 1 case, so she went in. She got home about 1:30 so she was gone about 5 hours. I went and played golf in the morning and then when she got home we played 9 holes with our good friend Brent Snyder. Brent is the teaching pro at Troy Burne. I was able to hang in there with him for 9 holes, but I made some dumb mistakes on the 2nd and 3rd holes and he beat me by 3 shots. He was a little rusty and if I ever had a chance to beat him this was my day. It would take Brent on a rusty off day and me shooting even par to beat him, a bad round for him is 1 over par. He simply plays a different game of golf than anyone I know.
After golf I went home and mowed the grass and we had Brent and Courtney over for dinner. Brent and Courtney were married last Saturday so we got together to catch up on their honeymoon to Quebec City. They are great people and we look forward to getting to know them better. Courtney is hilarious, she jabs at Brent like they have been married for years, and if you know Brent normally he is so cool and confident but his wife knows how to get him. (which wife doesn't right?)
Nicole made fresh salsa (always great) and we had a great pork loin and roasted potatoes. Nic is a great cook and entertains very well. After dinner we watched the Iowa/Penn St game and it was a BEAUTY! My brother Ryan and I were texting during the game as we all know how much the Hawkeyes meant to Hap! We so wished he was here to watch the game with us as he would have been on CLOUD NINE! The un-rated Hawkeyes went into Happy Valley to play the 5th ranked Penn State Nittany Lions! They won what was probably one of the best games I have seen in a couple years. Watching that game made me think of all the Hawkeye games we watched growing up begging Hap to turn the Gophers on. They are and always have been our 2nd favorite team. Do you know the chant, Who Hates Iowa, We Hate Iowa? I have always hated that cheer and wished we did that for the Badgers, because Wisconsin is way worse than the Hawkeyes in my opinion! It was a glorious day yesterday for Happer and I'm sure he was watching that game somewhere!
It was a great day on Saturday. Now today, Nicole got called in again, 2 cases today, maybe 3 which is very good. She is getting more efficient with her evaluations and her dictations. I'm trying to think of something to make for dinner so she doesn't have to cook when she gets home. I kind of feel lazy sitting home watching the Vikings and Tour Championship when she is working!
I hope everyone had a great weekend!

2 comments:

the ritchie's said...

Hey J, We can always start new cheers..."Who hates the Sconies?" "We hate the Sconies!" Orlin always hates that one too I think because he likes both teams too.
We are looking forward to seeing you both next weekend. You should make Cole salmon with fresh asparagus. Yea that sounds good. :)

The Wards said...

No, hate salmon. thinking sushi though, fish sounds good, neither of us are salmon fans.