Sunday, April 10, 2011

Weekend Update

Nicole and I had a packed weekend that turned out to be a lot of fun. Friday night we celebrated our niece and goddaughter's 12th birthday. Miss Carlyn is growing up so fast. We went to a Japanese steakhouse (her choice) in Apple Valley. We ate sushi because it was Friday, but it was fun to watch the the Hibachi guy spin all the steak/shrimp on the grill in front of us. It was Ryan, Kari, my brother Andrew, Carlyn, Ethan, mom, Nicole and I. We went to Ryan's after for birthday cake and it was a great evening.
On Saturday Nicole and I ran in Goldy's Run which is a 5k run. We started at TCF Bank Stadium and ran through campus and finished at the 50-yard line with everyone crossing the finish line on the big scoreboard. It was a lot of fun running through campus and it is a great race. We started running in this race a few years ago and this year the money is going to the new Amplatz Hospital on campus, so it is a great cause. There were at least 3,000 runners and a lot of fun to be part of. I started the race out listening to Bob Dylan's song "Positively Fourth Street" a song he wrote while he attended the University of Minnesota living in Dinkytown. I thought it was a fitting start to the race. From there I pushed hard to finish the race as I just started running again early last week. Nicole was able to catch me near the end and went on to pass me and finish about 1 minute ahead of me. I ran out of gas at the end. We both finished in less than 10 minute miles (which by most runner's standards is pretty slow), but we are always happy to come in around or under that 30 minute mark. We are gearing up for the big race that our family runs at the end of May called Get Your Rear in Gear. It was 2 years ago on Friday April 8th that Hap passed away from Colon Cancer and we always want to run this race to remember him. We hope to add to our list of racers this year and we are getting a match of funds raised by Thrivent Financial, a great company that my brother Andrew works for.
Saturday afternoon we went to get some outside lawn furniture at Room and Board. Lunch at Loring Kitchen and Bar and then home to spend the evening with friends.
We went to Scott and Jeri Nelson's house to watch the Master's and then to dinner at Pier 500. It was fun to get back out with our friends again after hibernating all winter long.
Sunday we just took it easy and watched golf. It was a great weekend.


Nicole after Goldy's Run (a little gloating smile for beating me)

Jason after the race (sporting AGR Letters)

Nicole and Hattie at the Giggle Factory

No comments: