Monday, August 16, 2010

Canterbury Park Birthday

Nicole and I had a busy weekend of golfing and spending time with my family.
Friday night we had our Couples League. We paired up with Mike and Diane Kretz this month. They are both very good golfers, both retired physicians and they play A LOT of golf. They play year round, Troy Burne spring/summer/fall and AZ in the winter. The Wards/Wilsons hold the record for the best score in Couples League, a number we set 3 years ago, which is a 29 (that is 7 under in 9 holes).
We tied that number on Friday night with the Kretz's. It was a complete blast. Putts were falling, Nicole was driving the ball so well.
After dinner we always have a couple host for dessert and drinks and that couple this week was Chad and Jen Greenquist. We had about 18 people join for dessert/drinks with 14 couples for the league.

On Saturday we got up early for an oil change appt for the Saab at Morries in Golden Valley. We looked at some new cars preparing for the day the Land Rover leaves me stranded on the side of the road (won't be long). After that we headed to Canterbury Park for a day of horse racing. My grandpa Jack turned 85 on July 28th and he wanted to do this to celebrate his birthday. My aunt Jeanie was there, my cousin Kristin and her husband Mike, my brother Ryan and his wife Kari, along with their kids Carlyn and Ethan and then my mom and grandma Connie and then Nicole and I. My brother Andrew and his "special friend" Liz were also there.
It was a perfect day to be outside and we had a lot of fun. My friend from Troy Burne "JZ" (Joe Zaputil) is a big horse racing fanatic. He grew up in Seattle working at a track and has read hundreds of horse handicapping books so I asked him for a few tips before we went. He sent me an e-mail with the winners that he would bet on that day. He picked 3 out of 4 correct and his 4th horse came in 2nd place. So we won some money. It was a lot of fun.

After horse racing Nicole and I went home and played some golf. She shot a 43 and I shot a 39, it was a nice relaxing evening. After golf we went to Barker's (our local favorite) for burgers. We went with some friends who work at Troy Burne and then back to our place after for some night caps and to catch up on the golf.

On Sunday, Nicole went to Stillwater with Allison for the day. They did the shop thing and ate lunch at the Freight House. I mowed the grass and then played in a golf tournament with my brother Ryan. We were joined in our 4-some by Mark Schultz, my boss and friend and another co-worker Luke. They played great together and finished in the top 5, my brother and I were both just heavy and finished well toward the bottom. I haven't seen the final results yet and I'm just HOPING we didn't finish last.

1 comment:

the ritchie's said...

Yummy I want to go to Barker's again. Hopefully it works out for us to get together in a few weeks. We will keep you posted.