Sunday, December 14, 2008

1st Ski Weekend At Giants Ridge

After being in Hudson since November 12th for work, it was nice to get back to Giants Ridge. We had a relaxing weekend filled with cooking, movies, gopher hockey, Wild hockey and the ski opener. The ski hill opened around Thanksgiving, but I haven't been here and Nicole had her skis in the shop.

So, we went yesterday morning and picked Nicole's skis up from the shop. She got new skis and they had to put her bindings on for her. While there she dropped $28.00 on the ground and made some kids day. I keep telling her that we are in a recession!

At Giants Ridge there are 35 runs in total, but not all are open yet, in fact none of the black or double black runs are open. Since we are not professional skiers blues and greens are fine and it was a very nice day yesterday. We were supposed to get dumped on with snow, but I wouldn't call 2 inches total a dumping. It is snowing right now so maybe they'll get more today. I am heading back to Hudson for a meeting in the morning at my office so I hope the weather doesn't get too bad today. The coffee shop at the ski hill is also very nice, we spent some break time in there yesterday just catching up and drinking lattes. We skied for about 3 hours, and we'll get another 2-3 hours in today before some key football games start. We need the Atlanta Falcons to lose today or the Carolina Panthers to win, then we'll be happy!

Yesterday we cooked a 10 lb turkey with a balsamic/maple syrup rub and it turned out great. It was moist and the flavor was great, can't wait to have some friends up here to try it again.

For those skiers reading this, this was my 1st ski experience at Giants Ridge. The runs are definitely longer than Afton, but it is still Minnesota. I haven't been to Lutsen MT but this would certainly be better skiing than Afton. The trees are beautiful and from most runs on the Ridge you can see the lake below, which makes it very pretty. Two points I want to make about our ski day yesterday. 1. Snowboarders are annoying! Sitting down immediately when they exit the chair lifts to strap their boots in or camping out in the middle of the run waiting for their friend to make a jump. Get out of the way already! 2. A few of the chair lifts are 2-person chair lifts and I had a "little accident" yesterday. We moved ahead in the chair lift line and we were next to board. Nicole migrated toward the middle of the lane and accidently pushed me (hipchecked is more like it) and the chair came around and hit me in the middle of the ARSE! I fell down and my skis came off (that chair was moving). They had to hit the emergency shut off on the lift and everyone on the lift ahead turns around to look. Very nice! Then the guy working helps me up and says are you all right. I say yeah, let's try that again! He then has to climb a ladder to the top of the machine to reset it because the emergency shutoff had taken place. I have been skiing since 6th grade when the church used to go and this has never happened before! Slightly embarrassing!
We'll take some more pictures today and get them posted tonight.


No comments: