Saturday, January 10, 2009

OUR FIRST DAY IN JACKSON HOLE......SKIING!

This is the beautiful place we are staying at...right on the slopes so we just ski in/ski out.
We made it safely to Jackson, WY on Thursday afternoon. The flight from Mpls to Salt Lake was perfect, we think the best flight we have ever been on. We were delayed about 45 minutes from Salt Lake to Jackson, WY because the sensor on one of the airplane doors was broke. So, we had to wait for maintence to fix it, thank goodness they were able to get it fixed. It was about a 20 minute drive to Jackson Hole/Teton Village where we are staying. The townhome that we are staying in is to say the least....AMAZING! It is a 4,000 sq. ft place right on the slopes. The first evening, Ryan grilled some great steaks for us and we just stayed in and enjoyed the beautiful home and scenery. We made a stop at the store in the village and I found some homemade ROOT BEER. It is called Old Faithful Yellowstone's Finest from the Grand Teton Brewing Co. The Teton Mts within the Grand Teton National Park are the slopes we are skiing.
[l:outside our place; r; outside our bedroom window]


Friday....the snow for the first day was great because it snowed the night before. Jason, Ryan, and I went out first thing in the morning. We just had to get our equipment on and ski down the hill and the weather was perfect. We couldn't ask for anything better. We decided to go on a blue run (more difficult) so we had to take 2 lifts to get to the top (8,481 ft). The first run was Werner. It was obviously much longer than what we are used to in Minnesota, but a bit more steeper. I managed that okay.... just had to wipe out once so I could stop because I was going too fast. Then I decided since I safely did that, I could try, St. Johns ( a run right next to Werner). St. Johns was a bit more difficult and steeper. Come to find out it was a double blue. I truely think that blues in Jackson Hole are as difficult or more difficult than the Minnesota blacks. The only bummer so far is that I have not found any runs that are a happy medium between easy and difficult. After those two runs, we stopped back and picked up Emily. I had several falls during the day. We decided to go on a trail through the trees and again I was going too fast and almost t-boned a tree, so I wiped out. The trails through the woods are quick and narrow. Emily almost landed in some running water one of her times through. Emily was behind me and she avoided hitting me by tumbling off into the woods... sorry Em. The biggest injury of the trip and hopefully that is all there will be is when I was going along the edge of the run and my left ski caught the deep powder snow and I wiped out... hurting my left knee a bit. It just hurt for the moment and I was able to do several more runs including Werner again without any pain.
Jason and I at the top of the Mt.

Jason and Ryan at the top of our first run....Werner.






The biggest thrill of the day was riding the TRAM. All four of us rode the tram up. Now this thing holds 100 people and their skiis...we were squished. It was snowing when we got to the top...down right freezing. Now when we were at the bottom, it was so warm you didn't need mittens and at the top, your hands froze instantly. It was so scary at the top at 10, 450 feet above sea level. It was basically a ledge and you couldn't see anything else. There were only black runs down, so Em and I just took pictures and rode the tram down. Jason and Ryan braved the run and made it safely. On the way down, we saw people jumping off cliffs!
This is the run that goes right past the place we are staying in. We just ski down to get on the lift.

Friday evening, Jason and I went to the Four Seasons lobby bar (another great place) and listened to a local guitarist play until we met everyone else at the Mangy Moose for dinner. We just had to walk down the hill to get to the village. We were exhausted from a full day of skiing so we were in bed around 9pm. We tried to stay up longer, but we just couldn't. Hopefully tonight we can relax in the hot tub and maybe get in a game of Pictionary...girls vs. boys. GO GIRLS!

As I am writing this blog... I have a great view of the Mt. and I am just watching all the skiers race down the hill. My favorite is the little tikes and their mini skiis...they are so darn cute. I stayed in today (Saturday) because my knee was hurting more and I want to be able to ski all day on Sunday, so I decided to give it a rest. Jason is out skiing now. I think we took over 100 picures yesterday so I thought we would share several with you. (If you double click on the pictures, they will enlarge).

No comments: