Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's A Range Thing....

I am not sure, but is anyone else freezing? The past two mornings, it has been -22 degrees and -45 degree windchill. I don't think I have ever felt COLD like this. I just heard on my way home that is was going to be -30 degrees overnight and -50+ degree windchill. Single digits above zero are looking warm right now.

So to a range thing.... The first three months of my internship, about once a week, I would feel this rumble while I was sitting in my office. Now, my office has no windows so I thought it was maybe a delivery truck next door at the dental office or a really big motorcyle starting up. Well, come to find out last month while I was at the treatment center, which as windows I discovered that it was not a motorcyle or delivery cycle I was hearing and feeling. So on this day, the whole treatment center building shook and there was a really loud rumble. I looked out the window to discover the mine across the highway was blasting stuff with dynamite! You could see this HUGE black cloud of smoke fill the sky. It seriously felt like an earthquake, or at least what I think an earthwake may feel like. I was at the hospital early last week and when I was outside, the earth shook again. The mine in Mt. Iron was blasting. So today when I was talking from the Range Mental Health Bldg to Range Treatment Center the ground below me shook and sure enough there was another black cloud. I am now going to carry my camera so I can get a shot of this blasting process.

Another on the range thing....well I know that 4-wheeler are huge around here. However, every time I go to Hibbing (population more than 10,000), which is bigger than Virginia, I see someone riding a 4-wheeler around town. I think it is the weirdest thing. I am going there tomorrow morning for a training and am wondering if I will see another one.

Well, I hope everyone is staying warm and having a good week.

No comments: