Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Random Thoughts and Facts About Wyoming

I haven't written on the blog in a while, while out west my only goal was to ski as many runs as I could get in. So now that I am back up north at Giants Ridge and it is -22 real temp and -45 windchill I thought I would put some thoughts out there.
We had what I call "the trip of a lifetime" to Jackson, Wyoming. First, we were with our favorite two people (well 3 people) in Ryan, Emily and Hattie Ritchie. We were so lucky to have stayed in the nicest accomodations I have ever stayed and will probably ever stay in. Orlin (ryan's stepfather) is an estate planner/attorney and one of his (I'll just call him "upper eschelon") clients has a place in Wyoming. We stayed right on the hill, literally 30-feet to the hill. The only thing you had to do to get to the hill was walk past the hot tub, so you get the idea of how nice of a place this was. We enjoyed 4000 sq. ft of space, each with our own room, and you could just tell how nice this place was because you couldn't hear another shower running anywhere in the house, you couldn't hear a toilet flush, you just felt like you were in your own paradise, within each room. It was the most relaxed I have felt in a very long time. For Nicole and I this was our first "vacation" since our honeymoon in 2003 to Costa Rica, and we all know what a disaster that was for me. Since 2003 she has been in school and that has not allowed us to travel. In 2009 we hope to catch up on a few places and our first trip is going to be hard to live up to.
Next, the skiing. Nicole and I have skiied a lot this year living at Giants Ridge. We have season passes up here and usually get out 4 times/week. We had read about Jackson Hole being "a difficult location" and a place where die hard skiers go who really want to experience the "steeps" of the US. They were not kidding about its difficulty. A normal green run is a green run, a very easy hill for beginners and very little risk in getting hurt. The next step up is blue, which is more advanced, meaning steeper and usually a longer run. The blues in Wyoming are intense, they are steep and you have to take 2 chair lifts to about 8,000 feet to get to them. There are also double blues, which are harder yet, and then finally black diamond. They also have double blacks which usually means a 50-foot cliff that you have to jump off so you get the point on their difficulty.
We spent most of our time on blues and double blues. I think Ryan would agree that our favorite run was a double blue called Wide Open. It featured moguls (soft ones) and a steep face for a great challenge. Just so we can say we conquered ONE black diamond we did ride the TRAM to the peak of Jackson Hole, which is 10,450 feet. The only way to get down from this TRAM is by skiing black diamond runs or simply by riding the TRAM back down. They make announcements when you get off the TRAM that if you are not an "experienced skier" you should not be up here. I should not have been up there, I came to learn. My skiing ability is moderate, I am decent, but certainly not good, I am somewhat coordinated so I can usually get around when it comes to most things, but skiing black diamonds out west requires more than just "some skill." The biggest thing I learned that it takes is "guts" or confidence. If you know me, then you know that I am scared of heights and riding that TRAM up suspended that far above the ground was very hard for me. This TRAM, just to mention is the longest continuous vertical rise in North America, 4,139 feet. I don't know how high off the ground we ever were (because I couldn't look out the window) but it was hundreds of feet. Once we got to the top, my mind was not right, I was white in color, it was windy and I was flat out scared, in fact my hands are shaking and sweating right now reliving it while I write this. My "psychologist" wife is trying to talk me through my fears but she was not successful. My skiing on the black diamond was fine, I never fell and Ryan and I safely made it down, but it was not a fun experience for me, and in Emily's words, which I totally agree with, I don't need to ever go on that TRAM again in my life. Well said sister!
I also learned that my brother-in-law Ryan is not scared of anything. He drops off ledges into god knows what below and just deals with it as it comes. Ryan is an impressive skier.
I also was very impressed with the scenery in Wyoming, I researched the ski area a little bit before we left, but I really knew nothing about the state. The mountains were beautiful, it is very wide open, nothing is overpopulated. Here are some interesting and maybe worthless facts about the state.
1. It is the smallest state by population in the US, just over 500,000 people.
2. Wyoming is a very beneficial state to live from a tax standpoint. It is only one of 7 states that does not assess income tax or corporate tax.
3. In Cheyenne, the state's capital, it is illegal to shower on Wednesday's
4. From January through April you need an official permit to photograph a rabbit

A big thank you to the Ritchies, and Orlin and Julie for inviting us along on this amazing trip. We love you guys!

No comments: