Tuesday, January 12, 2010

An Update from Nicole

Jason keeps telling me that I need to write on the blog more. Well, ok then....here are a few things that I/we have been up to lately that Jason has not written about yet.

Yesterday I had to drive the Land Rover because Jason had to go meet a client after work. So, I ask Jason on Sunday night if the truck has gas (b/c it usually doesn't) and if it has been running okay, all to which he says yes. So I go to drive the truck Monday and forget that the BRAKE light, which used to flicker on and off for the past 6 months is now just ON in red. So I panic a bit and immediately look in the owners manual and see what this means. Now, the same thing happened to me last year when I was driving up north and Jason's take on it is, "don't worry about it, nothing is wrong." Well, last year I drove it right to a mechanic and he added some brake fluid. So yesterday, this mechanic wife went to NAPA and purchased some brake fluid. I read all the directions and eventually filled the reservoir which wasn't even close to the MIN line. And what do you know the BRAKE light is now off. So I tell Jason because I am so excited I fixed the truck and I say to him, "so what was your plan about that brake light." He replies, "I was just going to let the thing die." Of course, I should have know that he wants to get a new vehicle so bad that he was just going to let it die and didn't want me prolonging the life of the vehicle. Well, one of my worst fears is the brakes going out in a vehicle and I wasn't going to let that happen.

We went to recipe club last night and enjoyed some good recipes prepared by our neighbors. The attendance was a little poor compared to past months with only 16 people in attendance. However, we still had a great time. I made tiny twice-baked potatoes. I know Jason said I was going to make the Orange Chipotle-Spiced Pecans, but they did not meet his standards of quality, so they were nixed.

I am going to be joining our Neighborhood Ladies Book Club for my first time next Wednesday evening. I am looking forward to this. The book for this month was Still Alice. This is a great book. I read most of it while on the Elliptical machine at the YMCA. There were moments that I had to close the book and listen to my headphones or I was going to start crying. Well, those of you that know me well, I do cry rather easily especially happy moments when like my niece and nephew are opening gifts (I just get so excited for them----I know Em, Ash, and Ally you are all laughing at me right now). Anyways, this book is about a 50 year old Harvard Psychology Professor who develops early-onset Alzheimer's Disease. She eventually has to quit working and within a short time (less than a year) doesn't even recognize herself in the mirror. I found this book fascinating in that there are so many of our families that are affected by this terrible disease, which there is not yet a cure for, and how quickly one's life as they once knew it is no longer. I also found it quite sad the reaction that this intelligent well-known lady got from her colleagues and friends once they knew she had Alzheimer's Disease---basically wanting nothing to do with her, assuming she wouldn't remember them anyways. You will have to read the book to find out more.....

I have also been trying a few new recipes that are worthy of making again lately. I love to try new things and Jason is a good sport. I sometimes feel that he is too critical, but for the most part, we usually agree on if it is worthy of being made again. Below are the 3 recipes. I have the links below, but if you cannot click on them, just cut/paste into your browser. Otherwise, you can find all 3 recipes at www.cookinglight.com and they are all in the Jan/Feb 2010 issue. ENJOY!

1. STEAK TIPS WITH PEPPERED MUSHROOM GRAVY
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dynaction=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1949742

2. ROAST CHICKEN WITH BALSAMIC BELL PEPPERS
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dynaction=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1949749

3. FETTUCCINE ALFREDO WITH BACON
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dynaction=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1949744

Hope you are all doing well---enjoy the warm weather that is coming for the next few days.

2 comments:

The Wards said...

I just assume that with every other light that comes on in that truck that it means nothing. The dashboard looks like a Christmas Tree!

Zander & Co. said...

soooo funny i was laughing out loud when you said you had to close the book...and then you call yourself out. too funny. but i cry during lifetime movies so i can't really talk.