Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

What a beautiful weekend so far. Nicole and I are just relaxing up north enjoying our 2 weeks together. The month of June is going to be a long one as I have seminars 2/week the entire month. This means I am in Hudson the whole month, our longest stretch apart this last year. Our basement is getting to the point though that someone is needing to be there more often as we make decisions about colors, design changes, etc.. so it will be productive, just not a lot of fun alone for either of us.
We started yesterday out with breakfast at home, Nicole ran 6 miles and then we headed to Virginia. While in Virginia we went to "Mine In The Sky", which is the local tribute to the mining industry. It is a big mine pit overlooking the "Queen City" and some local mines donated some machinery for display. Nicole has a personal connection to this area as her grandfather John used to work in the mines and drove one of these trucks. Her uncle Paul was born in Virginia. I think the picture will do justice as to how large these trucks are. The question is, can you find Nicole in the picture?

This a picture of the Queen City from the "Mine in the Sky"
Some of the specifics about the truck!
"King Of The Lode" We don't know what that means!








After the mine view we stopped at Starbucks in Virginia and headed to The Pebble, which is the spa in Virginia.
Then we played golf at the Quarry (Golf Digest's #20 Best Golf Course in the US). It was a perfect day and we both played very well. FINALLY! I still was spraying the driver all over the course and racked up 7 penalty shots, but managed to shoot 84, and Nicole broke 90, a great score (88) on a difficult course. The signature hole at the Quarry is their finishing hole, #18. You hit a drive straight ahead 276 yards and it goes right at the water. Then the hole turns to the left to give you a panoramic view of the deepest mine pit on the Mesabi Range, 550 feet deep. It is full of water now and I don't know how/why but it is Caribbean blue. I'll take a picture of it this afternoon and post it tomorrow. I was too busy yesterday looking in the woods for my ball. I hit 3-wood straight left into the woods, hit a provisional with the 4-iron into the trees on the right, and then hit a 3rd provisional with the driver into the same trees on the right. Thank God I found the 1st one and only had to take 1 penalty shot or it would have been another double digit hole for me. This is my typical experience on the tee box. Brent, I hope you are reading and realize the monumental task you have in front of you!
Below are some pictures of the Quarry!
The Quarry is very rugged, everything is left natural

I took a big chunk out of my 7-iron on this swing. I hit a rock on my practice swing, but at least I didn't hurt my wrist. My buddy Tom Kingsley will appreciate this: I had 182 yards from this lie and I closed my eyes and hit the 7-iron to 7 feet. I always amaze Tom with my ability to score from God's worst places on the golf course. I just tell him I have the most practice from those places.

No comments: