Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Interlachen Country Club

Said my many to be the best course in MN, said by many to be one of the top 500 courses in the world, easily in the top 10 as far as private clubs in the US. Site to the 1930 US Open where Bobby Jones won his 2nd leg of the Grand Slam. He went on to win all 4 Major Championships that year, the only player to have EVER done it. He retired from competitive golf that year at the ripe age of 28. He went on to become a developer and his biggest named course is a small course in Augusta, GA called Augusta National, home of the Masters. So, I think I have made my point about the historics of Interlachen. It also held the US Women's Open in 2008, so it's a great place.
I had the chance to play it Monday due to a few small miracles. No, I do not know any members of Interlachen. My boss Mark has considered joining for 5 years now and maybe one day will pull the trigger, but the number to join is rather large, more than most people make in a few years working. So, my good friend Brent Snyder worked in Sea Island GA for 5 years where he worked with a guy by the name of Nathan Ohloff. Brent refers to Nate as the "superpro" who left Sea Island for Brookline, another historic course in Massachusettes. Anyway, Nate landed the job as head pro at Interlachen, a remarkable accomplishment for such a young guy, low 30's, not exactly sure. So with Brents relationship with Nathan and Mark's checkbook, we were able to get on the course on a Monday, a day in which it is closed to its members.

We were very lucky with the weather as it was a perfect day. Our 4-some was Mark, Brent, myself and Dylan Westphal, a friend of Mark's from Janesville. We had 2 caddies, each carrying two bags. Our caddie, Mike was unbelievable. He used to work at Augusta National and now calls MN home. He gave great direction all day. I played very well and shot 78 which is 5 over par. I had Brent down 1 shot through 7 holes and then he turned it on and beat me by 2 shots on the front 9. He beat me by another 2 on the back 9, but to be within 4 shots of the 2nd best playing pro in MN I couldn't have been happier. Mark played great as well, shooting 100, his goal was 105 or better. Brent wanted to shoot 69 or better so he failed, but he had a blast and Dylan is a great golfer as well shooting 84 with his 1st round of the year.
After golf we met our wives at Salut in Edina for dinner. It was a great day with friends. Thanks to Mark and Brent for helping me notch one of the best courses in the country.
I remember Hap telling me growing up about Interlachen and how he got a chance to play it with Mike Pieschel and I thought about him a lot while I was walking around out there on a beautiful sunny afternoon. I know he was looking down as I worked my way around that historic golf course. It was one of the best days I can remember in a long time. I wish Nicole would have been there to play but she shared in the excitement afterward with everyone at dinner.

No comments: