Thursday, May 20, 2010

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures...

Last night Brent and I went to the range for a lesson and he asked me point blank, do you want to change your grip or not? I am scared to do this because my worst fear could happen and that is I get worse at golf. I have always played golf with a 10-finger grip (some call it a baseball grip). You hardly ever see a "good golfer" with a 10-finger grip. They either use an interlocking grip or an overlap grip. I decided that I was fed up with playing how I have been, way to inconsistent and I decided to make the drastic change. For 27 years I have had the same grip, my brother Ryan still plays with it as well. We both play the game pretty well for having that grip but I have seen others change and get a lot better, I have just been scared to do it.

I grinded on it for an hour last night on the range and hit a lot of good shots, some sketchy ones too, but a lot of good ones. I don't mind the grip, what is hard to get used to is the setup in the stance that is different. It feels like I am starting right of target every time. That will take some time to get used to.

Wish me luck! I play in men's league tonight, couples league tomorrow and a tournament on Sunday. I'm committed to the change, for better or worse.

2 comments:

the ritchie's said...

Good luck with the change J. You will do well either way because you love the game of golf so much. Practice makes perfect!!

The Wards said...

It wasn't the love of the game that called for the change, it was my continued beatings by Nicole.