Monday, May 17, 2010

Tiring/Rewarding Weekend

As I wrote last week Nicole was out of town with her sisters and mother from Thurs-Sunday. That left me home alone and I basically golfed my whole weekend away. The weather was absolutely perfect.

Friday night I got home from work at about 5:30. I immediately went to the driving range to work on my game. I just throw the ipod on and go to work. I worked on my grip and changing a few things there and I started to see some results. That certainly gets a guy excited when you start to see the ball flight you are looking for, and picking up distance as well. I hit about 100 drivers which has been my biggest problem. Then I hit about 50 shots out of the sand, another problem area. I felt pretty good after my 2 hour on the range. After the range I went to the practice green and did some chipping and putting to work on that a little bit as well. It was getting close to 8:00 p.m. now so I went home to get a bite to eat and drank some wine on the deck. It was very relaxing, but I was missing my wife being home alone.

Saturday I had a full day of golf. I had a 4-some at 8:10 consisting of Tom Kingsley (good friend who moved to Austin, TX), Brian Thompson (neighbor and 1 handicap who played at The University of Michigan) and John Strand (wine connesuier and sales manager for Quality Wine and Spirits) I played very poorly and shot 87 but had a good time with the boys. After golf I had lunch at the club and then went home and mowed the grass. At 3:30 I had another tee time with Brent, Courtney, and Kyle (brother) Snyder. We had a great time also and I played much better. I missed an 8 footer on 18 for a 79, so an 80. I haven't broken 80 yet at Troy Burne this year.
After golf Brent and Courtney came over and we grilled hamburgers and chatted for quite a while. We missed Nicole but we had fun anyway.

Sunday morning came early. I woke up at 5:30 a.m. to get ready and on the road for Edina. We were meeting at 7:15 for the Get Your Rear In Gear 5k. We had 18 runners/walkers on our team. The runners were Brian and Dina Gagne (next door neighbors), myself, Andrew, Ryan, Kari, and Vinh. The rest were walkers. I had a bet with a few guys at the office that I couldn't break a 10 minute mile for 3.1 miles so I NEEDED to beat 30 minutes. I ran hard and finished in 28 min and a few seconds so something like a 9:06/mile pace. After the runners finished we walked back out on the course to meet up with the walkers and all crossed the finish line together as a family. It was an emotional day for all of us, we were celebrating and remembering Hap's life and it was good to be around other survivors and help raise money for this cause. We thought maybe next year each of us could recruit 5 other and we could get to 80 people on our team. We saw a team this year called Terri's Team (Terri is a survivor) and she had 250 people on her team, unbelievable.
We all went out for breakfast afterward and it was a very rewarding day.
I played in a golf tournament at 1:00 pm that afternoon, whew I'm getting tired just writing and remembering this weekend. I didn't play great and my partner and I finished 4th out of 16 teams, 1 place out of the cash. Oh well, we'll get em next time. After golf I picked up my beautiful wife at the airport, good to have her home.

No comments: